Read the proposal for temporary student relocation: 2018-19 school year.
Leer la propuesta para la reubicación temporal de estudiantes: Año escolar 2018-19.
Demolition and reconstruction of Oak Grove is scheduled to start when school lets out for the summer. The new building, funded by the 2017 bond measure and designed for a larger student body, is expected to open in fall 2019.
This means that Oak Grove students will need to spend the year elsewhere. At the School Board meeting on Monday night, the board reviewed options for temporary relocation of Oak Grove students, including scenarios where students attend a combination of Fir Grove, North Albany Elementary School and North Albany Middle School for the year.
See the presentation to the School Board.
Ver la presentación a la Mesa Directiva.
The district is seeking parent and community input via an online survey that will be open from Jan. 23 to Feb. 11. (Paper copies are available in school offices.) This feedback will be considered by the Board before they make a final decision on the plan.
Responda la encuesta: Abierto hasta el 11 de febrero
No option is ideal, but the temporary adjustments will allow construction of the new building, which will create space for more students and improve the learning environment for students.
Considerations in the planning process:
- More than 290 students will be displaced for the year due to construction.
- Keeping students in North Albany rather than sending them over the bridge to other schools is a priority.
- There is classroom space at nearby Fir Grove Elementary School, North Albany Elementary School and North Albany Middle School.
Goals for relocation
- Put kids first.
- Consider common space needs for lunch, PE classes, etc.
- Disrupt as few classrooms as possible.
- Minimize locations, number of schools for families and number of schools for student transitions.
- Keep the plan as simple as possible.
- Minimize costs for moving and renovation.
Additional opportunities for feedback are scheduled:
- Public meeting at NAMS, Feb. 5, 7 p.m.
- Regularly scheduled School Board meeting, Feb. 26, 7 p.m